Shabby

Thursday, April 8, 2010

"Refinancing"

For those of you who know me well...You may have heard me say that credit cards are from the pit of hell.  Well...in my opinion, they truly are.  In our culture, I think it is the closest and most common form of slavery that we can experience.  Funny...the Bible says so too...

Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
The rich rules over the poor,
And the borrower becomes the lender's slave.
Proverbs 22:6-7
 
I was listening to a speaker today...whom will remain anonymous for now...and they mentioned this verse in the context of raising children with a healthy view of money.  They were also claiming that the way that you spend your money determines the kind of values you possess.  Interesting...
 
I've struggled with money...the spending of it...in my life.  Somewhere along the road I learned that opening a credit card account was a rite of passage as an adult.  I was so excited to get my first Capital One Visa with a $200 limit!  (At the time, that was all that they would give me).  Unfortunatly, I was later rewarded with limit increases surpassing the thousands.  Our culture is truly screwed up.  Please don't hear me blaming anyone...I know that I made my own choices and have worked very hard to bring myself out of that pit that I got into.  This same person told a story of how they told their child to go down to the bank and apologize to them for bouncing their first check because it was a LIE.  How convicting!  We are training our children to lie, beg, borrow, and steal in order to live?!  No wonder there are so many anxiety disorders in the world!  When we are financially insecure...we harbor guilt, resentment, and...well...insecurity.  But we continue to fall deeper into that pit of slavery to our master...  We have lost the value of work...we preach about helping the poor but in turn enable them to sit on their butts and milk the welfare system.  Again...please don't read into that...obviously I believe in helping the poor...I'm just wondering if we need to redefine poor.  And while we're at it...maybe redefine help
 
So, I'm convicted.  I want to live my values in the way that I spend (and save) my money.  I'm on a journey of refinancing.  Thoughts?
 
P.S.  Coming soon to the finer days... "True Confessions of a Pastor's WifeBy putting it here...I will commit to doing it...but I want to pray through it...not that it will change the world...but that I think it needs to be said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment